Getting involved in better care (featuring 3minuteQI™)
online & instructor-led
certificate of completion
£ 336 + (£280 + VAT)
Volume licence for groups
This course is for practitioners who want to get involved in quality improvement (QI) initiatives but don’t know how or where to get started. We will support you to progress from a QI newbie to someone who can use a small selection of QI tools and techniques, apply these new skills in practice and begin to embody the habits of an improver.
It’s a very ‘hands-on’ course. We focus on the practical elements of improvement science and how improvement works on the ground in your healthcare context. With our guidance, you will identify and choose a small problem to work on and select the most appropriate tools to help you measure and make changes. Everything you learn will be put into practice immediately! And our faculty are present throughout the learning journey, providing dedicated coaching support to help make your quality improvement a success. By the end of the course you will have selected ONE small thing that you want to improve and made your first steps towards provided better care. Importantly, this evidence can then be used to fulfil the e-portfolio requirements of your FY1 curriculum.
Along the way you will be encouraged to reflect upon and share your successes (and your failures) with our learning community. Building meaningful and long-lasting relationships with your peers, learning with and from them in a social context is a powerful cornerstone of our approach.
The emphasis of the learning is very much about PRACTICAL improvement science; enabling you to learn a set of skills that you can use, on the ground, within days of starting the course.
- Help to select a problem that is within your sphere of influence
- Ideas to engage others with your problem
- Three diagnostic tools that provide you with a foundation for using scientifically informed change methods to deliver quality improvement
- Activities to help you learn more from your colleagues and stakeholders
This course is designed for:
- Medical students who want to get ahead and learn about QI prior to entering their foundation programme
- Foundation Year One (FY1) trainee doctors to enable them to meet the quality improvement element of the foundation programme curriculum namely ‘evidence of involvement in quality improvement initiatives in healthcare’.
- Foundation Year Two (FY2) trainee doctors who want to revisit the basics of quality improvement before becoming more involved in QI via our Getting Immersed in Better Care course.
- Junior registrars who want to refine their own QI expertise whilst also preparing to support colleagues in their QI initiatives.
You might also be interested in:
Meet your instructors
Learn from improvement science specialists with practical experience in healthcare
Nicola Davey began working in improvement science some years ago when she realised the significant impact that well-designed changes could make to patients. She has previously worked as lead designer and instructor on the East Midlands BaSIS programme which introduced junior doctors to improvement science and supported them through their first improvement project. Find out more about Nicola.